Read in your language!

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Pokemon Red Team

In the spirit of me talking your ear off about Pokémon stuff, and the fact I just finished Pokémon Red last night, for the first time since I played it as a little kid, I figure, why not share the team that helped me finish the gym challenge and helped me defeat the Pokémon League. Might be a great team, but it worked for me and they were all fun to use. You'll see some pretty familiar faces on here if you've read my "Favorite Pokémon" posts from a couple months back. And once I play Pokémon Silver again sometime soon on the 3DS Virtual Console, you can expect another entry much like this. Anyways, let's get into the 6 partners that helped me in this quest.

So, since this is good ol' Kanto, I had to take my good pal Bulbasaur, and as always, together we completely destroyed Brock and Misty for that nice early start through the game. I'm not used to Venusaur not knowing Poison moves outside of Poison Powder and Toxic, but hey, this was a vastly different time with vastly different mechanics. All the same, Venusaur still came in strong and never let me down.

I wanted a Pikachu early on as a way to counter Blue's Pidgey early on, which would subsequently help me tackle his Pidgeotto and Pidgeot later on, as well as his Gyarados and even his Charizard, if need be. Plus, Pikachu was a nice help during the fight with Misty, and the moment I reached Celadon City, I grabbed a Thunder Stone to get my big, cuddly Raichu ready for action.

Ever since the first time I tried using Mankey in one of my several playthroughs of Fire Red, I came to know how strong it can be, and I came to see how strong Primeape was. One of the coolest little things about gen 1 was how some moves weren't the type we're used to today. Bite was a Normal move, for example. Well, Karate Chop is also Normal, and boasts a stupidly-high critical hit ratio, as literally 9/10 times I used Karate Chop, it was a critical hit. And with Mega Punch and Strength at its disposal, Primeape was just hitting like a truck the entire game.

So I don't usually use the Dratini line in Kanto, since that involves a stressful time at the Safari Zone IF you don't want to buy a Dratini from the Celadon Game Corner. But since I had the money, I used almost all of it buying coins so I could have Dratini. It was pretty weak at first, but after enough training, it became Dragonair, and it easily started holding its own. And as a Dragonite? Well.. High Attack, plus Hyper Beam (Because Normal was a physical-based type in Gen 1) means this big guy is wrecking stuff faster than you can blink.

Ah, good ol' Tri Attack. But even before Dodrio gains this amazing move, it can learn Drill Peck, which I put to very good use in Erika's gym before I faced her. Also, somehow Dodrio can learn Fly. I find it hilarious because Dodrio has no wings, and I don't know how it can possibly fly, but hey, video game logic, am I right? Either way, Dodrio made a quick and triumphant return in my game and was quickly able to demolish its enemies.

Finally, as a non-Dragon alternative to handling Lance in the Pokémon League, I surfed out to Seafoam Island immediately after beating Koga to grab Seel. Lucky for me, it was level 30, so 4 levels later and it was Dewgong and ready for action. Being able to flinch with Headbutt was good enough, but with Surf and Ice Beam under its belt as well, this sea lion sure didn't waste any time rising up to the ranks of my team at that point. And with my team of 6 complete, the rest of the game didn't take long to finish!

And that's the team I used for finishing Pokémon Red. I wish I could remember what my first team was back in the day, I would have loved to try it again and see how much better I could do with developed thinking and better strategic thinking, as well as better knowledge of Pokémon and typings, but ah well, no big deal. I still love Pokémon either way, no matter what. And I can't wait to relive the wonderful days of Johto, where a single fire starter would become so influential, and I wouldn't even realize it until many years later.


Have a nice day!~

No comments:

Post a Comment