Read in your language!

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Super Mario Odyssey

Man.. it feels like it wasn't long ago when it was January 12th and Nintendo revealed the newest game in the Mario series, in a similar vein to Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and even a bit of Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. But from the get go, I - and several countless people - was ready for this game as soon as it was revealed. The environments looked lovely, I loved how Mario had a lot of expressions and animations, and then we saw the main catch: being able to throw your hat at people and enemies and being able to possess them. Obviously it's limited but it's still pretty fun to be able to control enemies and use their abilities to collect Power Moons.

I was trying hard to avoid any potential spoilers that, well, weren't official videos from Nintendo, in a similar way to how I handle Breath of the Wild (which I'll be getting in just a couple weeks, so excited), where I try to avoid as many spoilers as possible. I couldn't even watch too much footage as I wanted the experience to be fresh and new to me.

Skip ahead to October 20th, just a single week before Odyssey releases, and I'm at GameStop with my dad, looking at Switch prices and getting everything taken care of. While we're there, about to leave, we passed the Switch kiosk that lets you play some demos, alongside the PS4 and Xbox One. Dad told me to play some demos since it's not like we've been out that long, so besides briefly playing demos for Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, I happily played a demo for Super Mario Odyssey.

The demo takes place in the Sand Kingdom, where the next story task is to reach the top of the tower while tracking down Bowser (2 more missions later and you'd be in the Inverted Pyramid). I used the Switch in the controller setup it was in, as I felt it easier to use than simply holding the Joy Cons in both hands. I collected a few Power Moons before the demo ended, namely the Power Moon on the rooftops of Tostarena, the Power Moon in the ruins that requires a Bullet Bill to reach, and the Power Moon in the shop. Ironically, the demo ended just before I finished the 8-Bit section leading to the top of the tower. Still, though, it was a wonderful time, and it made me even more excited to be receiving Mario Odyssey when I got my Switch.

Skip to 2 weeks later, on November 3rd, and at 9 am, I got my Switch and Mario Odyssey, and the rest is history. I heavily enjoyed the game as I 100% completed it in 3 days. I love everything about the game and I'm excited to replay it again soon while I wait for my birthday and while I wait for Zelda at the beginning of December. I say this all the time, but seriously, if you have a Switch, you NEED to get this game, it's worth every single penny!


Have a nice day!~

No comments:

Post a Comment