Read in your language!

Monday, November 13, 2017

Project Octopath Traveler Demo

After seeing this briefly shown in one of the Nintendo Directs, I had a lot of intrigue about it. I liked the music, I liked the aesthetic of having 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds. In a sense, I guess it reminded me a little bit about how 3D Dot Game Heroes looks, but with 2D sprites instead of everything being 3D and blocky. For what it's worth, the demo has a generous amount to offer, despite only letting you do the opening parts of both playable characters' stories.

The description of the demo mentions how each of your 8 playable characters have their own unique way of interacting with the world - Olberic the Warrior, for example, can duel NPCs in the field and not only get exp out of it, but you might also manage to get some nice items out of the deal. The other playable character in the demo, Primrose the Dancer, can allure NPCs and have them appear in battle to help you engage foes.

There's a Burst system in the game, in a similar vein to Bravely Default, but I think it works a bit better. Essentially, on the top right of the battle screen, where your characters' HP and SP are, there are 5 dots, and they light up as turns progress. Hitting R, up to 3 times, will allow you to essentially level up your action. For example, hitting R once and simply attacking will make your character do 2 attacks on that turn, burning through 2 orbs. Of course, if you change your mind, you can hit L to lower the level, or simply cancel it outright. It's handy to use when you're in a bind. And you can make your characters' abilities stronger or more potent as well, depending on what they do.

Speaking of the battle system, there's another aspect, a Break system. Every enemy has at least 1 weakness, and you'll see a shield with a number on it. Hitting enemies with weapons or magic they're weak against (once you discover it) will eventually break the shield, causing the enemy to become dizzy and take more damage, effectively making them lose their turn. If an enemy only has a 1 on their shield, and you have something they're weak again, you can effectively stunlock an enemy to their death. I'm not sure if it can affect your characters, as it never happened to me during the demo, but I'd imagine it's possible.

I like the bits of voice acting at parts. It reminds me of an older Tales game in that aspect, how some parts will have lots of voice acting, but other parts will have just text, usually accompanied by a few words based on the character, or like.. a grunt, gasp, etc. I thought the voice acting was nice.

Honestly, the demo is pretty fun! If you have a Switch and this game appeals to you in any way, I'd highly suggest trying it out. Considering all the options available to you in the demo, I wouldn't be surprised if you could carry the demo data over to the full game, whenever it's going to be coming out. But definitely give it a try, I've read that the demo actually has a pretty decent amount of content, for a demo, and I can agree wholeheartedly.


Have a nice day!~

No comments:

Post a Comment