Read in your language!

Saturday, November 25, 2017

My Top 5 Hopes for Pokemon on Switch

So, as we're all aware, Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are the final main-series Pokémon games on the 3DS, and it was confirmed that the next Pokémon games will be on Switch, and as such, I believe it's safe to say that Generation 8 will be out next direction. I'm sure everyone is still screaming for Sinnoh remakes, or even another set of Kanto remakes, but it looks like this is our next destination in the world of Pokémon. Personally, I'm happy to see Pokémon finally coming to a home console (and also a handheld again, technically), as Pokémon Colosseum and Pokémon XD, while official Pokémon games on the GameCube, aren't classified as "main-series."

I'm sure that even already, this topic has probably been done to death. Then again, everyone always has a list like this for any new Pokémon game coming out. I'm pretty sure I did something like this for Sun and Moon sometime prior to their release last year, too. But I digress, as I tend to do, here are the 5 things that I hope happen in Pokémon on Switch, in no particular order. I would, however, like to point out that, no, walking with Pokémon is not on the list. I know, I should be ashamed, but as far as what I'd personally like to see, it's not on the top of the list. Would I enjoy seeing it come back so I can interact with my Cinders again? Sure, absolutely, but it's not the most important thing, you know?

5. Trainer Customization
This should be a no-brainer, honestly. X and Y pleasantly surprised us by allowing us to not only have more than one skin tone for our character, but also allowed us, for the first time, to customize our characters by being able to purchase clothes, hats, etc. Sure we could never remove our hat, but it was amazing for what we had and it gave us diversity and allowed us to really make our characters closer to us than ever before. While absent from Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire due to their nature as a remake, it made a new and improved return in Sun, Moon, Ultra Sun, and Ultra Moon, giving us an additional skin tone for male and female protagonist, but also letting us remove our hats and have more cool and colorful clothing.

It's only natural that, on a system with greater performance and graphics and processing power, we get a return to the customization. All of the ingredients are there, we can alter eye colors with contact lens, girls had access to lipstick colors, and plenty of clothing - cheap and expensive - to choose from, and even hair colors and styles. The only thing I could think of is giving us more hair-styles and maybe more colors, and possibly have all kinds of outfits, with a mix of Kalos and Alola, so we're not just limited to long-sleeves or short-sleeves, or even sleeveless, same for pants, shorts, etc. Basically, take what we already have, expand upon it, and make it even better, you know?

4. A New Eevee or Two
So, I know I'm not alone in this. Obviously, with a new generation, we get a nice slew of new Pokémon. Considering that Alola had more new Pokémon than Kalos, and Ultra Sun and Moon even added5 new Pokémon within the same generation, it's not too much to assume that gen 8 could, bare minimum, grant us about 100 new Pokémon. Will that happen? I have no idea. However, as everyone has noticed, our fun little Eevee trend had a different outcome in Kalos.

After Johto gave us Umbreon and Espeon, each even-numbered generation so far has given us a new duo of Eevee evolutions, with one of them having a natural advantage over the other. Umbreon is strong against Espeon and Glaceon is strong against Leafeon. However, in Kalos, we only got one: Sylveon. Now, the reason that I'm willing to believe is that Fairy type wasn't just brand new, but Sylveon was sort of the "face of Fairy types," because it was one of our first examples of the new type. In fact, it was our first known Fairy type that wasn't a Pokémon that gained a type change, like Clefairy or Gardevoir.

It's very possible that giving us another Eevee (Which would most likely have been, maybe, Dragon) would take away from Sylveon and sort of take away from Fairy type in general. After all, making a new type, then having the attention taken away from it, is never a good thing. Would that have really happened? Who knows? But I think it's safe to say that nobody's going to forget about Fairy type at this point. Not with standout Pokémon like Sylveon, Primarina, Mimikyu, etc.

Anyways, this is getting really drawn-out so, to simplify, I want there to be at least one new Eevee evolution in gen 8. There's still plenty of types we can get to. And if you want to keep the number at an even number, just give us 2 of them (This is, of course, considering that you don't count Eevee itself as its own Normal-type evolution). I'd love to see what new Eevees we could get, how to evolve them, etc. And the Switch could have new evolution methods. Maybe something like... depending on whether it's docked or in handheld mode? I don't know, but there's definitely more possibilities out there.

3. Red... But Expanded Upon
Okay, this probably sounds weird, but.. hear me out. Everybody who's played Gold, Silver, Crystal, Heart Gold, or Soul Silver probably fondly remembers the final challenge: Climbing up Mt. Silver after facing the Kanto Gym Leaders, and encountering Red. It's symbolic, as Red symbolizes us, the player. However, Ethan (or Kris/Lyra) also symbolizes us. Red is us as Kanto's Pokémon League Champion and Pokémon Master, and Ethan/Kris/Lyra is us as the new Pokémon Champion of Johto. It's an intense battle, with Red boasting Pokémon at extremely high levels with powerful moves. It's a struggle, but it's one of the fondest memories we all have, especially after we defeat Red and become the ultimate Pokémon Master as a result of having defeated the strongest Trainer in the whole game, and someone who is highly regarded as the most powerful Trainer in the entire series.

So.. how about something similar with the other protagonists? Brendan, May, Hilbert, Serena, etc. But.. without a battle facility. I don't want to have to go through the hardest battles ever just to face these familiar faces. Obviously we'll probably never have a game where travel to every single region is possible (But maybe one day, who knows), but still, have them come around. You can fight a new duo each day in different spots. Like.. you can face Red or Green (or Leaf as she's commonly referred to) on one day, then the next day you can find Ethan and Lyra, and so on. There's 7 days in a week, so each day could be a new generation. On the 5th and 7th days, you could face the Black/White 2 protagonists or the Ultra Sun/Moon protagonists, respectively, as well as the Black/White and Sun/Moon protagonists. It's probably never going to happen, but it's worth a mention and a thought, isn't it?

2. Cross-Compatibility
So, this one is a pretty big deal, admittedly. Over the years, there's been ways to transfer your Pokémon to future generations. Sinnoh had Pal Park, we could use Pokémon Transporter to bring Unova Pokémon into Kalos, and we can use Pokémon Bank to bring gen 6 Pokémon into gen 7. I don't know how a 3DS-to-Switch transfer could work, but there has to be some way to transfer our gen 7 Pokémon to gen 8, right? I'm sure that eventually we'll get something taken care of for transferring needs, as we usually do. It makes completing the National Pokedex that much easier to do and it saves a lot of frustration. Hopefully there's a method that we can learn about as 2018 rolls out and we hopefully start to learn more about Pokémon on Switch.

Honorable Mention 1: Data-mining and Leaks
So.. this is a personal gripe coming from me, but... please, GAME FREAK, make it extremely hard for the data-mining process to happen! It's happened with basically every recent Pokémon game. I can understand that coding a game is difficult and so is keeping the data safe and secure, but there has to be ways to avoid more situations like this. For example, if you release a demo version of gen 8, which I believe you should, do your absolute hardest to wipe the data that's not necessary so that hackers can't easily find the information.

To be honest, I can see if this winds up happening again, but I truly don't want to see more Chinese Leaks or anything like that for gen 8. It was... pretty shocking when Incineroar, Decidueye, and Primarina were revealed months in advance due to Chinese Leaks revealing the concept art for the 3 of them, and I was disbelieving it as much as I could until the day arrived where they were proven to be 100% real. I sound like a hypocrite considering that I let myself get spoiled on Pokémon details as I can't wait to see new Pokémon and whatnot, but finding out final starter evolutions is something I want to find out when it's officially revealed, you know?

Long story short, there needs to be more precaution taken to avoid more leaks and data-mining. I know you guys are doing your absolute best, but I know that there's got to be ways to prevent this from happening again.

Honorable Mention 2: New Pokeballs?
So I know that we have a ton of balls that have their various catch rates and circumstances and effects, but I know we could still use more. However the only example I can think of is maybe a Dawn Ball, which has a similar effect to the Dusk Ball, but instead of giving a x3.5 catch rate in caves/dark places and at night, it can be used during the day for the x3.5 catch rate, and maybe even in bright places, if any. I know that other balls do the trick just as well, but it would give you a ball for any time of day and it'd be handy to carry around with you, you know?

1. New Pokémon and Type Combos
So.. you might be thinking that this point is redundant, but hear me out again. I'm hoping, honestly, that we receive 100 new Pokémon, bare minimum. Now obviously, creating more Pokémon, especially after reaching a massive 807 thus far, is no easy task. You need starters, box legendaries, an obligatory 3rd legendary that's not as important at first, at least 3 event Pokémon, other legendaries, the regional pseudo-legendary Dragon type, the "Route 1 Normal Type" and "Route 1 Flying Type" and so on. But look at it like this. Gen 6 gave us 72 new Pokémon, and gen 7 has given us 85 new Pokémon as of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, so I don't think it's too big of a stretch to hope for 100, yeah?

As for new type combinations, there's still plenty of combinations that have yet to be done, like Fire/Grass, or Fairy/Poison, for example. And who knows, maybe we'll receive a new type? But I think a new type won't happen for a while, since Fairy is still sort of new, and it brings the total types to a clean, even 18. Then again, they enjoy surprising us, don't they? I just want to see more new stuff, honestly.

Phew! That was more than I even expected to type up, but those are 5 things I hope happen with Pokémon Switch. Will it happen? Time will tell, but they have to start actually giving us information, naturally, as Ultra Sun and Moon just came out last week. No doubt we'll start hearing info once 2018 rolls around, maybe we'll get an early-year Direct to give us some information? I sure hope so. Anyways, thanks for sticking through this long wall of text and making it down here to the end. I'll see you tomorrow for my birthday!


Have a nice day!~

No comments:

Post a Comment