Read in your language!

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Sonic Unleashed

So, this is sort of a silly and weird thing for me, as I've played both versions of this game, and both games are pretty different, besides having the same story, setting, characters, etc. The difference may be night and day, according to the game, but the real differences are the graphics, engine, and gameplay. Even though this will generally be about the PS3/Xbox 360 version, let me address the Wii version first.

The Wii version is definitely a more watered-down version, but if you're not into collecting a ton of things to progress the game and want to simply play it and enjoy it, the Wii version is actually the easier version, in my opinion. Sure, the graphics aren't the best, but I don't really care about what graphics look better, so long as the game plays well. I definitely enjoyed the ability to plug in a GameCube controller and use it, as it felt easier to use, especially coming off of Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog before this. While it might not be the platform of choice, I can still say that I got a lot of enjoyment out of the Wii version, and had no problem collecting Sun and Moon medals through S-Ranking stages, which opened up more doors in the Gaia Gates, giving more bonus content, especially in the form of extra permanent lives for those trickier stages.

Now for the HD version, as people generally call it. It's a lot faster, and it plays a little more like modern Sonic games, such as Sonic Colors or Sonic Generations - at least in the day stages with a Boost Gauge. The levels feel bigger and, true to how Sonic should be, it's pretty fast at times. I like the idea of gaining experience points from enemies and from eating food gained in the hub areas to make yourself faster or stronger, and it's just overall fun. Collecting Sun and Moon medals, however, becomes a bit more tricky, but it's easily handled with guides if you really get stuck.

I enjoy exploring the small hub areas that, in the Wii version, were only boiled down to simply selecting an area and talking to whomever is there, instead of actually walking around. I like the prospect of purchasing food items to gain exp and to become better friends with Chip, and even unlock a few silly bonus videos involving Sonic and Chip on their travels.

On the opposite side, the hotdog missions, while optional, are.. very nightmare-ish, at times. Some are pretty easy and simple, while some are.. very difficult. Seriously, don't even get me started on Eggmanland's missions, and definitely don't get me started on a certain Chun-nan stage which, while not a hotdog mission, is still ridiculous due to balance-walking WHILE carrying an object and having less control. It gets pretty frustrating. But, it's all doable, and I still love everything there is in the game.

That's it for Sonic Unleashed. Another Sonic game that generally gets panned, this time mainly due to the Werehog stages and the change of pace, and probably some gripes about the story as well, I bet. But all the same, both versions are still worth the time and effort, especially if you're a Sonic fan like me, or if you enjoy Sonic games in general. I'll see you all tomorrow for the trophy guide.


Have a nice day!~

No comments:

Post a Comment