Read in your language!

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Fire Emblem: Something Silly

Have you ever noticed when some people talk about Fire Emblem, they say stuff like, "Oh, character isn't all that strong," or something like, "Oh, don't ever use character, he/she sucks!" It's kind of funny because in almost all cases, that's not true.

In most cases, every single character has the potential to become ridiculously powerful - but I'm going to exclude Sacred Stones, Awakening, and Fates, since you have the ability to endlessly level up and grind until your units are super strong. I want to use an age-old topic I used to see way back when Radiant Dawn came out. I'm going to talk about Meg and Fiona, and their potential.

So, those who have played Radiant Dawn probably groan in boredom when they have to play the Dawn Brigade chapters, especially in part 3 right after controlling Ike's powerful forces. About halfway through part 1, you can recruit Meg, a Sword Knight (or as the game puts it, Armor Sword) who, like other first-tier classes early in the game, is kind of weak, but the chapter she joins is a nice way to give her some exp. Now, she has odd stat growths and low-ish base stats for an armored unit, and joins at level 3, and of course has to fight with the Dawn Brigade units for that juicy experience, but in the 7 times I've played and beaten Radiant Dawn, Meg has consistently been a contender for my Endgame team. She's got a lot more potential than most people seem to notice.

In the chapter she joins in, there are Laguz units, but due to her nice starting defense of 10, she can easily take most hits from the Cats, and maybe a few from the Lions. And since she's generally available in every Dawn Brigade chapter after you get her, she has some pretty good availability. If you can promote her to a Sword General, she starts really demolishing foes, and if you get her to the final rank of Marshall, she can tear enemies apart, effortlessly. I've given her the honor of taking Alondite any time she's brought into Endgame with me, and she does not fail to deliver. That's one example of a weak character who can become something more.

Now.. Fiona, on the other hand, requires some babying, but she CAN be strong. In my last playthrough, I managed to get her to be a Silver Knight, brought her into the tower with me, gave her the Wishblade, and she was a wonderful unit! She just has extremely poor availability in part 1, only being playable in 2 chapters. with the 2nd chapter being part 1's Endgame. If you utilize some bonus exp early on and do some hefty boss abuse with her in chapter 7, using a forged lance that makes her more likely to land hits, she can slowly rise to near level 20 before that lance breaks. But after her promotions and putting tons of effort into her, I can say I was definitely not disappointed. Harder to raise than Meg, by a long shot, but worth the effort in the end.

I really don't know why I wrote this or where I'm going with it, but I just wanted to share something silly while I had Fire Emblem on the mind. I'm a few chapters from finishing Awakening, then I can take a nice FE break before I do the first attempt at a Fates Randomizer Run, using the method I made up some time ago.

Follow the blog on Twitter!

Have a nice day!~

No comments:

Post a Comment