Read in your language!

Friday, September 2, 2016

Picross 3D: Round 2 Demo

So Picross 3D: Round 2 is one of the latest games to come out on the 3DS, releasing yesterday after the Nintendo Direct, as well as a demo. Much like normal picross, your goal is to fill in squares based on numbers in a row or column until you finally unearth the shape, picture, or object hidden in the squares. In this case, you paint cubes orange or blue based on the colored numbers, and break cubes that are no longer needed to unearth the picture in a 3D space, hence Picross 3D. So I got the demo after I finally finished yesterday's post, and played it from start to finish and got a bit sad when the demo ended, because I was actually having a lot of fun with it. As I stated before, I greatly enjoyed Pokemon Picross and Zelda Picross so I figured I would have a lot of fun with this, and I definitely did! Let's get into it!

So of course the first thing that happens is the tutorials for explaining how the game works. You use the stylus to move the blocks around so you can see the blue or orange numbers on the particular row or column, and fill them in as such. For example, on a 3x3 puzzle, if a row/column has an orange 3, then every square in that particular row/column gets filled in. And any 0 rows/columns denote that you can destroy the entire row/column as there is nothing there to fill in. It's very easily explained, and even though I was rusty (since I haven't touched picross since May),  I easily got back into the swing of things and blew through the tutorials and the puzzles. Moving on to the next book, there were more difficult puzzles, such as rows/columns with more than one number, such as (1,2) or like (3,1), to denote where colors go. So in those examples it could be 1 blue block and 2 orange, or maybe 3 orange and one blue. In essence, picross is mostly number puzzles with a little bit of logic. Blowing through the puzzles leads to the next book, in which you learn about circled numbers, slicers, bombs, and help. Help, as you would expect, gives you a hint about what to do next if you're really stuck, and it can be used whenever you want and as much as you want. Bombs eliminate all of the 0's in a puzzle, just in case you don't want to spend time destroying every 0 square. Slicers allow you to look at the puzzle in layers so you can look inside big puzzles to find numbers in the middle. Circled numbers, like a circled 4 for example, are numbers that are split into two groups. So a circled 4 would be 2 blocks, a gap, and 2 blocks. It sounds a bit weird, but in practise and examples, it's a lot easier than you think. So after those puzzles, it's on to the final 3 puzzles where you put all your skills to the test. After finishing the 3rd and final one, the demo is over and done with, and it of course leaves a button for if you want to go to the eShop to buy the full game and its 300+ puzzles.

So that's the demo of Picross 3D: Round 2. I enjoyed it a lot. In fact I'm probably going to play it again after this to see if I can beat the puzzles much faster than I did yesterday. If this interests you, try it out for yourself, I had a lot of fun and I bet you will too! If you read this far thanks so much for reading, I greatly appreciate it! As always, until next time, see you later! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment