Read in your language!

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Final Fantasy XIII


Ah, Final Fantasy XIII, arguable one of the most disliked games in the series, or the one that I see people complaining about the most. I don't quite understand what's so wrong with it. I get that it's linear but that's the only negative thing I can think of for it, because I really enjoyed this game. I loved the story, the areas, I loved the characters and their arcs. Admittedly, this game was my second Final Fantasy game, only beaten by Final Fantasy X-2 on PS2. It's funny how I even got this game. My best friend was going through games to sell on Craig's List, or just sell to people in general. I looked through some of them and this game caught my eye. I asked if I could have it and he said if I give him $5, I can have it. So I paid him and I got it. I loved it, and it's one of the best $5 I've spent on a game, honestly.

Again, one of the best parts, besides the story, was character arcs. At the beginning, Lightning is just.. cold. But as the story progresses, she opens up more and we see flashbacks of everything that lead to the beginning of the game and why certain things happened. Another arc I enjoy is the tension between Snow and Hope, in which Hope's mother, Nora, dies while Snow tries to save her. Snow, feeling guilty about it and remembering her last words, to watch over her son, has Snow trying to find the son. Hope, from afar, sees this and immediately blames Snow for Nora's death. And we see this tension as Hope desperately tries to tell Snow how he feels but falls short. Eventually, he manages to tell him, but after an attack and they fall from a building, Snow risks his own health and life to protect Hope, giving Hope a change of heart after seeing that Snow isn't a bad person.

There's a lot more to it, but it's better to learn it yourselves. Every character has a goal and motive to continue fighting and they all follow their own arcs on the way. I love the battles and the music and just.. everything. Plus, when you hit Chapter 11, it feels more open and a lot less linear, but only for a little while admittedly. I know this is pretty much me gushing over a flawed game, but hey, I like what I like, really. Nobody has to agree if they don't want to.

But those are just some thoughts on this game. I have tomorrow's trophy guide done so I hope you all look forward to that. Tomorrow will have a new poll, as well, and this time it's going to be a bit different but I'll explain that before I put up the trophy guide. As always, thanks for reading and I will see you later! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment