Read in your language!

Friday, January 13, 2017

Why Do I Trophy Hunt?

So I'm sure that the reason anybody hunts trophies/achievements/whatever can largely be for the same reasons. Maybe bragging rights, like getting the platinum for a very difficult game, or maybe getting that super tough trophy/achievement that took such a long amount of time and effort to do, like something that requires excess grinding and difficult post-game stuff.

Maybe others do it because they want that sense of accomplishment, or maybe some sort of proof of their hardships. Maybe they did something amazing that gave them a trophy for it, but nobody believes them, so the fact they earned the trophy is their proof. Or maybe there are people, like myself, who don't see a game as "completed" until that platinum is collected. Whatever the case, it's an addictive hobby and it feels very rewarding, despite just being a small, virtual icon of achievement.

For me, as I said, it's that last sense of completing a game, like it's sort of... it's almost like you've beaten the surface of the game, but in your lust for more things to do/more challenges to complete, you dive into the game itself, find those additional challenges, and you complete them, hunting for that platinum trophy deep inside the game, and adding it to your total as another bragging right, so you can say to yourself, "Hey, remember that really hard game? Well I got the platinum trophy for it, so I feel so damn thrilled about it!"

I can sit on my PS3 and look at my current 47 platinum trophies, from Assassin's Creed II, all the way to Katamari Forever, and I can remember some of the difficult times I've had in some games, while others were a breeze. A tough game for me was.. probably Bioshock, if only because of how I was playing on the 2 hardest difficulties, and with ZERO Vita Chambers. Not only did I have to save often, to be safe and not lose tons of progress, but fighting Big Daddies was the most stressful, anxiety-inducing thing I've ever done in the game, but I have a feeling that it'll get topped when I have to do the harder difficulties for Bioshock 2 AND deal with Big Sisters, as well.

On the flip side, however, a very easy game to platinum was Goat Simulator. Yes, Goat Simulator. Now, granted, I was following one of the lovely guides done by PS3T so I could easily nab the trophies, so maybe I'll do one that didn't use a guide... Umm.. Ah yes! Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures! That was a platinum that was really easy to get, and it took me a day and a half to two days to obtain it, and the game was nice and easy as well. Some platinums are just easier to get than others, ya know?

But then there's always frustration. That's to be expected, though. It won't always be easy, and if you don't have experience with the game, it can definitely be frustrating. I mentioned in yesterday's trophy guide, how Sonic Generations' Can't Touch This trophy made me rage quit. Well, it did, honestly, but looking back, it's because I got so frustrated and was so hell-bent on getting that trophy that I lost my focus. It was a case of trying TOO hard, and because of that I lost a lot of my focus and, well, you know the rest.

Some games might make you say "is it even worth it?" Maybe the game has an extensive amount of things for you to do and it encompasses several trophies together, such as some of the Records-based trophies in the Kingdom Hearts games, where there's a trophy for completing Jiminy's Journal, but every individual section has a trophy attached to it. In a sense, the trophies there keep track of your progress towards a bigger goal. As far as something like that, I have a lot to do in order to finally obtain Card Master Sora when I finally return to Re:Chain of Memories to do my other 2 playthroughs and platinum the last Kingdom Hearts game I have (At least until I eventually get 2.8 Prologue and Kingdom Hearts 3 one day, of course).

But for some, trophy hunting is just fun. It adds more time to a game's length and might make you want to replay it with a different mindset. Sometimes hunting trophies can be done with friends, and sometimes you must go alone on the journey for the platinum. Some games are designed to be fun and essentially have trophies linked to 100% completion-based tasks, such as the LEGO games. Some games, like the Souls games, require several playthroughs to accomplish every trophy task. Whatever the case, it's a challenge and it's sometimes really enjoyable to hunt them down.

I know I rambled on for a while about this, but currently with 2750 trophies, with my last one being Katamari Forever's platinum trophy, I can definitely say that I enjoy trophy hunting a lot. I don't aggressively hunt for trophies like I used to, but eventually I'll wind up getting more games and seriously hunting them down. By the time this year ends, I'd love to simply reach 3000 trophies. I could easily reach that goal with my current set of games, but you never know.

Either way, thanks so much for taking time to read this huge text wall, I appreciate it a lot. Tomorrow's post will be a new poll and maybe it'll pertain to the next trophy guide. Who knows? You'll just have to find out tomorrow. Until then, I will see you later! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment