Read in your language!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Favorite Pokemon: Alola

And at last, we're here in Alola, our most recent Pokémon region, for now. The region doesn't have that many more Pokémon than Kalos, and picking favorites is a bit tricky when I'm not including legendaries, Ultra Beasts, or Alolan Forms. However, I still have 18 Pokémon here and at the ready, so let's finish the favorites list off with my current favorite Pokémon region! Mind you, you probably know a lot of my opinions already if you've kept up with me and my constant blog posts involving CoroCoro leaks and my opinions on all of the new Pokémon as they were revealed and such, but still, some might have changed since the games released 6 months ago.

Now, I get that this is kind of cheating, since Silvally can be every type. However, since its primary type is Normal, without any of the Memory items being held, I'm classifying it as normal, so it works out, and I frankly like it way more than I like Yungoos/Gumshoos. Also, yes, there is only one in the whole game but I wouldn't classify it as a legendary, you know? But anyways, I wanted Silvally to be in my first team so badly, but when the game leaks were happening and I learned that Type: Null is postgame only, I was pretty upset. Komala ended up taking its place, and even though I love Komala a lot, you can't beat this chimera-like creature that looks absolutely amazing!

There's a reason why this spot belongs to Turtonator and not Incineroar, but Incineroar is way down on this list in the Dark section. This space would have belonged to an Oricorio form, but like I said, I had to really do some picking and looking at types. That being said, I wasn't too big on the design of Turtonator when it was first revealed. However, it did slowly grow on me, and I felt a bit of  a Heatmor vibe from it. Like it's a single stage Fire type that has a counterpart (Drampa, much like Durant is to Heatmor) and it does look pretty cool. Plus, it's a Fire/Dragon (somehow) and that just makes it more awesome. I have yet to use it, but I know I will in the near future.

This spot was originally going to go to Araquanid, but then I realized just how much I like Primarina a lot more than I like Araquanid, so that's why it's here. Out of all of the final starter evolutions, I loved Primarina and Decidueye the most, designwise. As for Incineroar, I'll explain down below when we reach it. To be 100% honest, if Incineroar was part Fighting and not part Dark, I would have picked Popplio instead. But anyways, I love Primarina, it's a beautiful final evolution to probably the most disliked Water starter since Oshawott back in the days of Black and White (Not sure why though). It's funny because I expected Popplio to become a Water/Fairy at some point after it learns Disarming Voice, as we saw in the E3 Demo. Now, sure, not every Fairy learns it, and some Pokémon learn it that aren't Fairy type (Such as Meowstic). But all in all, I love this beautiful Pokémon and it's definitely one of my favorite Water types, period.

I think Vikavolt is a pretty awesome final evolution for our regional caterpillar. Instead of being some sort of butterfly, bee, or moth, it looks like a beetle of some sort (If I'm wrong, definitely feel free to correct me). I also think Bug/Electric is a pretty awesome typing, but that's also probably because I have Joltik/Galvantula bias, but even still, you don't see that typing that often. It was even cooler to see this as the Totem Pokémon for Sophocles' Trial in the game!

Ah, good ol' Mantis Bab. Remember that joke? As much as I love Decidueye, nothing can beat the reaction I had to Fomantis and Lurantis during their initial reveal, in which they automatically earned a spot on my first team. I love the pink and green compliments in the design of Lurantis, and I actually really like how its shiny looks like a normal praying mantis, rather than an orchid mantis. It kind of reminds me of Animal Crossing, since you can obtain both types of mantis. One nice memory I'll always have was when, as a Fomantis, it single-handedly took on the Totem Wishiwashi and its Alomomola helper. It had a lot of bulk to it and I was so proud of it!

Crabominable is the ONLY new Ice type that isn't an Alolan Form in this game. As such, it had to b put in the Ice slot, even though I don't know if I like it much or not (But since I haven't used it yet, I'm still building my opinion). However, I will say that whenever I see Hala's Crabominable in Elite 4 rematches, I instantly want to destroy it because of the sheer terror it can bring if you aren't careful! It's a cool-looking Pokémon though, and it looks like a fitting evolution for Crabrawler, too.

This, in a silly sense, is a Pokémon after my own heart. Bewear love to hug its Trainers very tightly, but unfortunately this naïve bear doesn't know its own strength, as it can effortlessly snap anything in two. Now, I'm not that strong, but I love giving bear hugs to my friends, and I hug tightly because I enjoy squeezing the life out of people when I hug them, and I enjoy trying to lift them up if they're shorter than I am. But I love Bewear's Fluffy ability, as it acts just like Furfrou's Fur Coat ability. The catch, however, is that with Fluffy, Fire attacks do some extra damage to Bewear, so it has to be careful. I've used Bewear in two teams already, and it did a lot of wonderful work in both teams.

So, I don't think anybody was expecting this. Nobody thought that we'd get a Combee 2.0 with Salandit. But we did, with Salazzle. And from what I know, Salazzle is very frail. Now, while I agree that Corrosion is a great ability, especially when it allows you to poison Steel and Poison types with Toxic, this poor thing is still extremely weak to Ground. A good Earthquake can/will obliterate Salazzle. All the same, though, I think this is an awesome evolution for Salandit.

Good ol' Palossand, the Pokémon that made me think twice about choosing Mimikyu for my first team. I know I'm pretty weird, but it's a sand castle! It just looks so cool! And it didn't disappoint, either. Finding it wasa bit annoying, as Sandygast had a much lower encounter rate compared to Staryu, but it was worth it. To be honest, I can't wait until I can get a shiny version, because the cool black sand appearance looks amazing. That's not to say the default appearance isn't nice to look at, but you get the idea.
I think Minior is a cool idea. It's a meteorite, and when its health drops to below 50%, the shell breaks to reveal the core, which is a cute and squishy star. And I love how there are multiple star colors, just in case you'd rather have one of your favorite colors! And the shiny is black with a few colors dabbed inside of it, so that's pretty amazing. I have yet to use Minior, but I really want to, because it just looks like it could be a lot of fun to mess around with.

Now, this, again, is kind of cheating, as I prefer the Fire Oricorio to the other three. However, my only other real choice was Bruxish, and I don't really like Bruxish, at all. I love Oricorio, though, and I love the idea of there being a different type in each island, and using nectar to change the forms at will. It technically gives it 4 types in one Pokémon, and I just really enjoy it. While I've only really used the Baile form, I want to use the other 3 forms as well, including this one, which is Akala Island's Pa'u form.

So I've mentioned that I wanted Wishiwashi for my first team. However, when the leaks happened and I saw Golisopod, my mind was changed, as I NEEDED this creature. I wanted Wimpod to turn into something that looked fearsome, and sure enough, it did. And I love using it, it's so powerful! I'm frustrated, however, that it keeps the same ability as Wimpod, just under a different name and flavor text. This means if you take a hit and live with less than half of your HP, you are forced to switch out/flee the battle, which can be pretty annoying. All the same, though, this is an amazing Pokémon and I'm glad I used it.

You didn't think I'd forget my rock puppy, did you? As much as I love both Lycanroc forms, I went with the Midday form, as that's the Lycanroc that I had since I played Sun. Although my Lycanroc was pretty frail, I wasn't about to remove it from my team, as it's really pulled through for me. It single-handedly took on Kahili's team during my first run through the Pokémon League, defeating her Toucannon with the Rock Z-Move to destroy it before it could really do some damage. I also have a fond memory of a Lycanroc completely sweeping my friend's team in a game of Pokémon Showdown once, so that was pretty fun and amazing.

It's an anchor. With a ship's helm for a face. I love it. I haven't touched Dhelmise outside of catching it for Pokedex completion, but I can tell you this. I will be using it very soon and I want its shiny. I don't know why I like Dhelmise so much, maybe just because I think anchors and ships are cool and all, but it's just such a random Pokémon and a random concept, but I can't help but love it just for how amazing it looks. I don't have too much to say on Dhelmise, but I love it.

Kommo-o has to be one of the best-designed Dragon Pokémon in all of the series thus far, and that's saying a lot as I love the Dragons that we have. It just looks amazing, and it's out first Fighting/Dragon evolution line! Now, of course, this makes it 4x weak to Fairy, but that's a small price to pay for looking so amazing. It was really fun fighting a Totem Kommo-o near the finale of the game, because this is our pseudo-legendary-Dragon Pokémon of this game, and it was very powerful. Fitting for our final trail, huh? I also remember having to breed a couple of Jangmo-o's for some friends (one is.. not a friend anymore, so I won't dwell on that) when we all got the game,so that was pretty fun too.

Here it is, Incineroar. Now, by now the design has grown on me, far more than it did back when the starter evolutions were leaked, and eventually officially revealed. And as you all know, I named my Litten after a cat that I really loved when I'd visit my sister and niece, named Smokey. Sure, Smokey was a she, but I don't really care, because it could easily be a boy name, too. Naming one of my favorite starters after one of my favorite cats just felt right, you know? Incineroar became Fire/Dark, the exact type I was wishing Litten would eventually become. I'm glad I took Litten, because it demolished so many things throughout the story and I love how awesome it is.

So, we have our regional Pika-clone here but it's so gosh-darn adorable! It's so fat! But it's also fun to use, and in a surprising twist, it's a physical attacker, not a special attacker. Its signature move, Zing Zap, is particularly useful as it makes use of Togedemaru's physical attack and has a decent chance to make the opponent flinch! Togedemaru was going to be in my first team, but comparing its base stats to Komala revealed that Komala was just the better choice overall. In my Primarina team, however, I made sure that Togedemaru got a chance to shine!

And finally, our last Pokémon, Mimikyu. I felt bad for not having this in a few of my teams, mainly due to type overlapping. However, Mimikyu will have a nice, special place in my party when I train it to take on the Singles section of the Battle Tree, which I only want to do in order to beat Red and get the Battle Legend music for multiplayer. All the same, this poor Pokémon just wants to be loved, and it kind of made me sad during Acerola's Trial, when you see all of the Pikachu merchandise and whatnot in the room that you encounter Mimikyu in. All the same, though, I love this little Ghost/Fairy, very much.

And that's it for Alola and for the list, in general. I hope you don't mind going through all of my favorites with me and I appreciate you taking the time to read my silly thoughts about all of these Pokémon. I'll see you again soon!

Have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment