Read in your language!

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Mickey's Speedway USA (N64)

Ah, one of my favorite games on the N64. And yes, another Disney game. But there's just something silly about this game that always has me coming back, some kind of charm. Maybe it's the catchy music, or the characters from my childhood. Maybe it's the memorable tracks that ramp up in difficulty, like the Frantic Finale courses, such as Colorado. Maybe nostalgia.

As you would expect, think of it as a Disney version of Mario Kart, except with differences. But you still get items, Race Tokens (which I assume increase your speed? I honestly never found out.), etc. You have 6 characters to play as from the beginning: Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pete, and Daisy. The main premise is that the Weasels have dog-napped Pluto and you have to race around the USA in order to save him. You travel to many places, such as Philadelphia, New York, Chicago, Hawaii, Los Angeles, and more. You can unlock Dewey, Louie, and Professor von Drake as you play the game and win the rainbow cups (which are earned by getting 1st in every race in a series. Otherwise, you get gold as the highest.). I know you can unlock Huey as well, but I believe you need the GBC version or something in order to do it, as I have never unlocked him.

It's dumb fun and a silly time waster and I love it so much. And if you want to win every race easily, well, von Drake is your man- eh, duck, for the job! Seriously, on Amateur he's unstoppable, but I don't remember how he handles on Intermediate, Professional, or Mirror.

And of course there's a fun battle mode, Time Trails, a practise course, everything you'd expect from a racing game, but the best part has to be the cheats (You know, the stuff that was FREE and required you to unlock them in game.). These include a heckle button (You taunt when you honk your horn), rainbow sludge, and more.

Whether you like racing games or not, this game is definitely worth a try if you ever get your hands on it. As always, thanks so much for reading, it's great to have a laptop again, and I will see you tomorrow for Pokémon news! See ya! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment