Read in your language!

Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

So, in my opinion, this is one of the... least liked Zelda games. I know why, too, but generally people dislike it for a few things that I'll get to in a bit. I just finished this game for the second time last night (and by that I mean from start to finish, not just re-loading my save to fight the final boss again), and I missed how fun it was, and I enjoyed reliving the fun from this 2007 DS title. Since tomorrow will be more Pokemon news, because of the official English news batch coming tomorrow morning, I figured I would talk about Zelda today since I just spent the last few days completing Phantom Hourglass.

So, let's start with the basic new feature: Touch Screen movement. Simply put, you hold the stylus where you want Link to run, and that's how you move. You swipe the screen to thrust your sword and you tap enemies to do a targeted attack or a jump attack, depending on your distance from the enemy. Of course, being a direct sequel to Wind Waker, there's a lot of boat travel, which I love. You draw a route for your ship to take and away you go, sailing the seas, discovering islands, defeating monsters, and working to save the world, because that really is Link's only job, let's be honest. Honestly, I wasn't a fan of using the stylus to move because it reminded me of one way to play Animal Crossing Wild World, but unlike ACWW, you can't change to the D-Pad in this game. You do get very used to it in time though, and then it just feels like second nature, but I do see why some people are annoyed with that aspect.

However, the big, big thing that a lot of people like to complain about is the 4/5 mandatory visits to your main temple, the Temple of the Ocean King on Mercay Island. The reason is because you have to redo all the floors you already did on a previous visit, while getting down further each time, and you're on a constant time limit, as once the Phantom Hourglass runs out of time, your life starts depleting when you're not in a Safe Zone. However, the dungeon gets progressively easier each time you enter, as you have more time in the Hourglass, and you have more items to use to find shortcuts through the floors, or even skip some floors altogether. I say 4/5 because, on your 3rd visit, you can continue onward to grab the final sea chart during the same visit, if you think you have enough time left to do it, saving you a ton of time later on. It's not as difficult as people say, but it does become tedious and, admittedly, annoying after you go back the 3rd time.

But those points aside, this is still a fun Zelda game, and being able to draw notes on your maps is really fun and useful, and they make sure you remember to do it because people give important info, or dungeon tablets give away puzzle hints that you need to know to complete them, or Gossip Stones give you hints to a buried treasure and have you mark locations and other cool stuff. I enjoy this game a lot, and once I finish its distant sequel, Spirit Tracks, again, you'll be seeing me talk about that, too.

And that's all for Phantom Hourglass. I tried not to add plot this time as I really don't want it to be spoiled for the people who want to play this but haven't, and I felt that adding plot makes this more of a review than my own opinion, honestly. If you made it this far, as always, thanks a bunch for taking time to read this, I appreciate it a lot! Be sure to vote in this week's poll to decide next week's trophy guide, as the poll ends on Thursday! Thanks again, and as always, I will see you later! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment