Read in your language!

Sunday, September 11, 2016

9/11

So, yes, I know, this isn't about gaming, but this is important to many, many people. I wasn't ever affected by it personally as I'm not super close to New York, where everything took place. Nonetheless, it's still a very heart-breaking day, and a lot of memories are shared. I don't have many specific memories of this day, aside from no knowing the general basics, but I'll still share it and talk about it briefly. I won't fill anybody in on what 9/11 was, as it's essentially common knowledge now, and other people could explain it far better than I ever could, honestly.

So, 2001 was 15 years ago, hard to believe it now. I was only in 2nd grade when it happened too. Just another routine day, it was between 11-12 and we were going to be having lunch and recess soon, no big deal. Suddenly, our principal came on the PA system and I'm not sure about what she said. I think she did, however, mention about the World Trade Center and the Twin Towers being attacked, and we were suddenly let out early. Of course, back then I didn't quite understand what was going on, but like everyone else, we went home. Luckily, my house was right across the street from the school yard so it's an easy walk home. So I get come home to my dad and grandma watching the news about the attacks, and they ask me "What are you doing home so early?" and I tell them we were let out early for some reason. I never asked, because I was young and I didn't think I would understand, really. All I knew was that something happened and we got out early for it, so being the naive child I was, I just went to my own business and played my video games. Then of course school went as normal the day after and so on.

Let's skip ahead a while, to 12th grade. To be honest, I had never ever seen any footage of 9/11 prior to seeing it in 12th grade. And, well.. I certainly was mortified. Watching the planes crash into the buildings, the huge funnels of smoke and fire, the screams of people running for their lives, and finally watching the towers fall. My mouth was wide open so I had to cover it with my hands, and I was really close to shedding tears, but I held back because who wants to be seen crying in class, right? But it was only then that I finally learned how truly devastating it was, and how chaotic the incident was. It was the start of our war on terror, and that war really isn't going to end, let's be honest, because someone out there is always going to try to instigate war.

My prayers go out each year to the friends and families who lost loved ones in this tragedy, and I never want anything like that to happen again. I'm lucky to be here after that event. If I was living in New York when all of that went down, I don't even know if I would be alive still, or if I would be unharmed. It's not something I dwell on because obviously I can't change or control the past. But yeah.. an awful day for everyone, really.

Thanks for reading, I know it wasn't about games, but this is very important to people. If you read this, thank you so much. Be sure to send a prayer to anyone affected by 9/11, and just keep people in your hearts, and if you lost someone to this event, I'm greatly sorry for your loss, you didn't deserve to have it happen. I'll see you all later.

No comments:

Post a Comment