Read in your language!

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

3D Dot Game Heroes

Did I surprise anyone by thinking that this is the trophy guide? I hope not, but if I did, I'm sorry. Today I'm just going to talk about 3D Dot Game Heroes as I finish the game and round up the last snapshots I need, and make any edits. I'm hoping to finish the guide tonight and have it ready to put up tomorrow as soon as I wake up, or as soon as I do a quick look at it and check for spelling errors. The reason I'll be including pictures is for a visual look at certain places. You can't take pictures of the maps so it's as good as I can do. Anyway, enough of that, let's go!

So, 3D Dot Game Heroes, essentially, is a PS3 Zelda. More accurately, it's more of a love-letter to the old time RPG classics, like Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda. In it, everything is made of pixels, but they're 3D, and all of the music is lovely chip-tune. The controls are simple and easy to remember and it just feels like a ton of fun. The world is vast and holds many secrets, and you definitely feel that Legend of Zelda vibe as you explore the world. Being an RPG, it has a myriad of sidequests to undertake. Some give you money, some give you new swords, some do absolutely nothing! And of course, like some RPGs, a lot are time-sensitive, meaning that if you miss the deadline, you are out of luck!

The story and overall goal are much like Zelda, as well: A great evil terrorizes the land until a hero, with the help of 6 Sages and 6 Orbs, banishes the evil away forever. One day, evil again threatens the land and all hope rests on you, the new hero, to stop evil. If you want a heavy-Zelda comparison, use Ocarina of Time as the comparison, as you must save all 6 Sages and get all 6 Medallions before you can finally reach and battle Ganondorf to save the land. But when you draw inspiration from something, some elements are bound to be the same.

The dungeons also have a Zelda-like feeling, as every room is a zoomed out, square room where you see all the action at once. Some rooms require you to use a candle or lamp to light your way and some rooms have cracked walls that you can bomb through. And at the end you battle a huge boss and collect a Heart Container- I mean, Apple Container, and receive another Heart/Apple. The cool thing is that you can re-battle the bosses at any time if you want to book them in the Bestiary or try to go for a no-hit run.

The last thing I want to talk about is the difficulty. The game, on its own, is pretty easy, with some later dungeons being a bit harder and longer, but nothing that should be utterly threatening if you take your time and explore. When you beat the game, you can do New Game + and keep all the swords you purchased from King Block in exchange for Small Blocks, giving you an early edge. And in From mode, if you rescue Spelunker, the titular character from the game of the same name, you can play Spelunker Mode, where you die in one hit from everything.

Overall the game is Zelda-like, and that's all you can say for the most part. The game is heavily influenced by Zelda, and any Zelda fan can tell you the similarities with ease. But despite how close it is to being like Zelda, it does retain unique aspects that set it apart into its own game. I would definitely recommend picking up this game, even if you only play through it once, because it is a lot of fun and it'll kill a lot of hours, even when you're not taking your time. For a game that was released back in 2009-2010, it's still a ton of fun today.

I hope you guys like this short little look at this game, the trophy guide will be done and ready to go before tomorrow and I hope you all enjoy the time and effort I'm putting into it. It's going to be long but it's all worth it to help you guys out! If you read this far, thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it, and I will see you later! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment