Read in your language!

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Rocket Power: Beach Bandits

I suppose I may have this very game to thank for sparking my inner completionist. So, yes, another game based on a Nickelodeon tv show I loved watching as a kid (besides SpongeBob and Fairly Odd Parents and so on, but more on those games eventually), but I just really enjoy it.

Of course, it might be my inner nostalgia, or inner child, that keeps me loving this game. Like several games I own, I go back to it enough that it's not stale, but not forgotten. I used to spend so much time on this game, exploring Ocean Shores and other locations, and trying to find collectibles and just go through the big areas, and several in number, mind you.

Kind of humorously, this game had a lot of advertising in it, specifically for the, at the time, soon to be released "Tak and the Power of Juju." In some levels you can find Tak himself, and when you approach, he runs off, and of course you can't catch him. And in Ocean Shores, there are posters advertising Tak as well. Kind of silly, if you ask me, but small easter eggs and cameos like that are always fun in games. The best part is that it doesn't shove it down your throat like "HEY LOOK, THIS IS TAK, HIS GAME IS COMING OUT SOON, YOU SHOULD BUY IT OH MY GOD!!"

So, what makes this a big spark for the completionist in me? Because in the game there are 100 gold coins scattered throughout the levels and missions, with the pause menu telling you how many coins are in the given area. You can also keep a small track on them by going to individual levels from the main menu after unlocking them in game or with an easy cheat section. Obviously, there's no way to tell where they all are, save for the missions with criteria for collecting the coins, but often you'll explore EVERYWHERE to find those coins to unlock characters and other stuff for multiplayer, with the final prize being a new skate area for you to do score attacks on. Sometimes they're easy to see, sometimes they're not. It can drive you mad, honestly, but it's fun.

Definitely try to find this game if you can, especially if you liked the tv show growing up, like I did. May not be perfect by any means, but I always have fun playing it, if it's any indication. Thanks for reading, just like always, and be sure to vote on this week's poll, the choices are currently tied so your vote can change the outcome! See you later! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment