Read in your language!

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Favorite Pokemon: Kanto

So, I wanted to do something Pokémon-related that I meant to do during this past week, but things happened and I didn't get it done until about 3 days ago. I recently compiled a list of my favorite Pokémon in each region, by type. This means there's 18 Pokémon per region. I did need to stretch for a few of them, as you'll see, and dual types don't matter, so long as one of those types fits the main type I'm looking for. Also, these are all done by final evolution, which also makes it easier for the inevitable teams I'll be building in Sun. Also I'm going to try and make sure all of these reasons aren't the exact same. Also please note that there are NO LEGENDARIES on this list, as even though I love them a lot, I wouldn't use them in team building due to how I feel about using legendaries. But maybe another list will have my favorite legends in each region. We'll see. Anyways, let's get right to it!

So, I've used Eevee before on a mono-Normal team in Omega Ruby, and I recently used it in an Eevee team in Sun alongside 5 other evolutions, and let me tell you that Extreme Evoboost makes a HUGE difference! But that aside, I really love Eevee, and I'm a huge sucker for cute and adorable things, as you'll no doubt learn/know by now. It's really cute, and even if it's not super powerful, it can still hold its own in battle if you ask me.

I'm not the absolute biggest fan of horses, since I really don't have any knowledge of them, but this is still a majestic Pokémon. And I really, really want its shiny, because blue flames on a Ponyta look cool, but silver flames on a Rapidash? Amazing. And to be fair, I've always wanted to use it on a team, so I'll have an excuse to use it when I end up making teams in Sun.

I think the anime is a reason for liking Lapras as much as I do. It's also just really pretty and majestic-looking and I just really love it. Like Rapidash, I've always wanted to use it in a team in a game, but typically my team was already set for Fire Red before completing Sylph Co., and it wasn't the right day to find it in Johto. But still, I love Lapras, and I feel bad that it hasn't gotten a pre evolution or an evolution in general, like I feel like it could use something, ya know?

I've always loved Raichu more than Pikachu, to be honestly. Just something about it being chubbier and more huggable, I guess. As cute as its Alola Form is, I prefer the original Raichu, even though I will admit that the extra Psychic-typing and moves makes Raichu pack a serious punch. But the last time I used Raichu in a team was when I did a team in Omega Ruby called "Pikachu Party," in which it, along with the Pikachu clones (Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu, Emolga, Dedenne), destroyed many things. I also have a lot of fond memories of Raichu being helpful in Pokémon Stadium, as well.
So, seeing as Bulbasaur is my starter of choice for Kanto, I couldn't ever skip Venusaur for my favorite Kanto Grass-type. I've explained this before but my love for Bulbasaur stemmed from the anime, as I loved Ash's Bulbasaur in the series, and I loved how tough it was, even though it never evolved. Plus, naturally having an edge against most of Kanto's leaders helps too. It defeats Brock and Misty easily. It can resist Electric attacks from Surge. Thanks to being part Poison as well, it can use Poison attacks to cripple Erika's team while resisting their Grass-type attacks, and so on. Plus, thanks to the Poison typing, it only takes neutral damage from Koga's Pokémon! I just really love this evolution line, and I've always enjoyed it more than Charmander or Squirtle, to be honest.

Since Lapras is my favorite Water type, and I frankly don't like Jynx all that much, Dewgong is my favorite Ice type. While I do like Cloyster and have used it, to some nice success, I just generally like Dewgong better. Firstly, it's cuter, so for me that's a plus. But I think it has to do with Pokémon Stadium, as well. Sure, I haven't really used Dewgong all too much, but in the times I've come against it in Stadium, it was tough! I believe I also used it once during a Soul Silver run, and it did not disappoint.
Now, let me iterate real fast. As much as I do love Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan, and as cool as I think they are, Primeape won my respect and adoration when I last played Fire Red, when my Mankey became Primeape and was a monster, demolishing many, many things in its wake. I know that Fighting doesn't particularly have a big advantage in most of Kanto, except for, like.. Brock, Giovanni, Lorelei, and Bruno, but considering certain moves they can get, like the elemental punches, it makes them pretty versatile, and it really makes them stand out more. Primeape was a great early-game choice, and it never disappointed me when I used it. That's why this monster is here.
So as much as I like Arbok and Weezing a lot, they weren't enough to beat how much I like Venomoth. I just really always liked it, not too sure why. I've never used it before, but I've always wanted to. I know the anime helped me like Venonat more thanks to the handy one that Tracy had in the series, but Venomoth has always just looked really nice. And while looking up some Pokémon, I discovered Venomoth's really pretty blue color when it's shiny, so that's another one I definitely want!
Another case of  "I've just always really liked it," Sandslash has always been a Pokémon I'd wanted to use for a long time but never did. When I finally played Black 2 for the first time, I used a Sandslash for the first time and it was a very helpful member, especially against Elesa. But either way, I really enjoyed using Sandslash and I always love seeing it. I also really do like its Alola Form, but not as much as I like the normal form.

Tri-Attack. Literally Tri-Attack made Dodrio demolish everything last time I played through Fire Red. Like, just the STAB and everything. I honestly loved using it though, and even though I love Pidgeot, Dodrio just works better for me. I don't know what it is about Dodrio, but it has some sort of charm that makes me really love it and love using it.
Despite the bevy of Psychic types in Kanto, I've always loved Alakazam the most. I'm not too big on Jynx or Exeggutor, and even though I like Slowbro, it's not enough to reach my top spot for Psychic types. I can only imagine the chaos that would have happened if I was able to have an Alakazam back in the day with the original games. I bet it would have been a lot of fun with how overpowered Psychic types used to be. But either way, this Pokémon will always be fun to use and a favorite in Kanto for me.

Yes, my favorite Bug in Kanto is not Scyther or Pinsir, it's Beedrill (Although to be fair, if my favorite Poison type wasn't Venomoth, then Venomoth would most likely be my favorite Bug). It's funny, I really love Bug type Pokémon even though I hate insects in real life. I always thought Beedrill looked awesome though, and I think Mega Beedrill helped me with those thoughts as well. I don't really care if Beedrill doesn't have a ton of battle prowess, I just really enjoy using it, you know?

Yep, my favorite Rock type, let alone Fossil, for Kanto is not the almighty Helix. But all jokes aside, I've used Kabutops a lot in Pokémon Stadium, because it just looks so cool. I've never actually used it in a main series game, but I'm sure one time I'll put in the effort and I'll start cutting things down with Kabuto, and then Kabutops. I just really like it (I know I say that way too often, I'm sorry, I'm pretty bad at having better explanations for why I like things).

I mean, the Gastly line is the only Ghost line in Kanto, so this was kind of a given. All the same, though, I really love Gengar. It just looks so scary and menacing, and back in the original games, the sprites for it always looked so cool, too. It's sad that the half Poison typing cripples them, as the overpowered Psychic types could destroy them, and they were weak to Ground as well, but still. Unfortunately I probably wouldn't have gotten past Haunter as a kid, because I don't think I knew anybody else who had the games. I had more than one GameBoy/GameBoy Color, but never had a Link Cable, which made me pretty sad.

And, naturally, Dragonite's evolution line is the only Dragon line in Kanto, so naturally Dragonite is my favorite Dragon in Kanto. I've always loved how cute it looks, despite that it's meant to be a fearsome dragon. Like, it just looks really cuddly and looks like it would give some pretty nice hugs. All that said, though, the most memories I ever have of Dragonite come from Lance during the journey through Johto. I've only used a Dragonite once, but it really wrecked some Pokémon while I made a team in White. I can't wait to use it again sometime soon.
So, this is where we start stretching, as Kanto didn't have any Dark, Steel, or Fairy types, so please forgive me for the next couple of Pokémon. So, I do like Raticate. Not enough to overtake Eevee, but I've used it in a Soul Silver team, and I used it in a team in Omega Ruby where the theme was all of the "Route 1 Rodents." I just had to do this so I could technically have a Dark type favorite for Kanto. I like how it gets really chubby, though. I think it looks better this way, but that's just me.
Now this isn't as much of a stretch, as, once Steel was added, the Magnemite line gained Steel typing to accompany their Electric typing. And since I needed something for Kanto, that's where Magneton comes in. I like Magnezone a lot more, but I still think Magneton is a cool Pokémon all-around, despite how simplistic the design is.
And finally, in the same vein, we have Wigglytuff. I had used it in a previous Fire Red team, and Wigglytuff really put in a lot of work. If Fairy was a thing back in gen 3, it would have been a formidable force, for sure. I wanted to use it that time, and I don't regret using it. It tanked a lot of hits, and also dealt some good damage and I love Wigglytuff a bit more due to how much fun it was to use.

And those are my favorites for Kanto! In case the type order isn't too clear, here's the order, which will be the order for the other 6 regions as well: Normal, Fire, Water, Electric, Grass, Ice, Fighting, Poison, Ground, Flying, Psychic, Bug, Rock, Ghost, Dragon, Dark, Steel, and Fairy. Thanks for reading, and I'll see you again soon!

Have a nice day!~

No comments:

Post a Comment