Read in your language!

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Favorite Pokemon: Hoenn

So, here we are again for the third time. This time we're going through Hoenn, which is actually my 3rd favorite region in the games. Well, you know how it goes, so let's get right to it, shall we?

So, Exploud is here for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I think it looks awesome. Second, I definitely have to admit that I liked Whismur a little more thanks to the silly antics of Game Grumps and how calling a Whismur "Pumbloom" made me laugh a ton. Finally, I used Exploud in a few teams, starting with my only EV-Trained team in Pokémon Y, in which Boombust destroyed everything. It's just a really powerful Pokémon and I love when I get to use it.

Ah, my good buddy Camerupt. This was another Pokémon I used in my Emerald Nuzlocke that made it with me to the end. Originally I was going to use Magcargo, but as I saw it was taking more damage more easily than a Numel was, I decided to use Numel, and I do not regret the choice to use "Piston." Despite its crippling weakness to Water, Camerupt still managed to destroy everything in its path, and it proved its worth immediately when it helped defeat Flannery not long after catching it. I love Camerupt and it's still one of my all-time favorites.
Ah, good ol' Kipper. As much as this will make me sound like a hipster of some kind, I liked Mudkip before the memes happened. Since I played them in the order of "Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald," and I somehow chose the starter that was the same color as the game (Mudkip for Sapphire, etc.) I took Mudkip first, even though I liked Treecko quite a lot. But Mudkip easily became my favorite starter in Hoenn, even after choosing the other two. I do like, however, that in early game, Marshtomp is a valuable ally, as it can easily take on Roxanne, Wattson, AND Flannery (With Wattson, the part Ground-typing makes Wattson's Electric attacks useless against it.)! And then as a Swampert, it just starts rampaging.

As much as I love Plusle and Minun, I think the sentimental value of another of my Nuzlocke survivors beats the love I have for the Pika-clones of Hoenn. "Husk" shined greatly, especially against Winona, Juan, and Wallace. It might not be the most amazing Electric type out there, but it's still a very fun Pokémon to use. I always thought it was awesome, and it still holds up, in my opinion. I'm not big on its Mega Evolution, but otherwise I love Manectric.
I liked Shiftry more after using it in Pokémon XD, then again in my first run through Omega Ruby. I've always liked it, but after using it more, well, I learned how powerful it can be. It's also a fun little bonus that it's part Dark, my favorite type. But there's just something about Shiftry that I like a lot, and it's also just really menacing. My biggest memory about Shiftry is facing off against Sydney's Shiftry in the GBA games and constantly being Extrasensory'd.
Walrein was a somewhat recent add to my favorites. After I used it in a team I built in Y (which was meant to be used to battle my brother-in-law, but it never happened. Oh well) I liked it a lot more just because I've used it. I had a lot of fun using it, and I have to remake it in Sun now (I should have remade it in Omega Ruby. Drake wouldn't have stood a chance.) and watch how fast it defeats Kahili. And if I would up battling Ryuki in the Title Defense, Walrein would demolish his team very fast. I love this big ol' walrus.
Breloom is sort of like Shiftry. I used it in Pokémon XD a long while back to gain my liking for it, and I've just liked it a lot ever since. When using it in Hoenn, it can give you a really nice advantage over Norman, especially if you didn't pick Torchic as your starter. It's also just really cute, and I definitely find this mushroom-based Pokémon a lot more adorable-looking than Shiinotic or Amoongus. Like, why do the evolutions of mushrooms always look so... odd?
I've always liked Seviper more than the Gulpin line when it comes to Poison types in Hoenn, but I think the reason I like Seviper so much, besides that it's a really cool snake, is that I actually have a shiny one in my Pokémon Y file. I named it "Amethyst," since the shiny coloring gave me a big "purple-oriented" vibe. Otherwise, I always felt like Seviper should evolve, or have a pre-evolution of some kind. Like... I don't know, it doesn't really feel right just being a standalone Pokémon, you know?
I always liked Flygon and I'm part of the plenty of people who were upset when Flygon didn't receive its Mega Evolution in ORAS. But hopefully one day, it will get the Mega that we all want to see. Otherwise, it just looks really awesome. It has a tragic 4x weakness to Ice, sadly, so if you sent it out against, say, Glacia, it would probably get taken down easily. All the same though, it's definitely one of my favorite Ground types, as well as Dragon types. It honestly reminds me of a friend I went to school with, who has a shiny Flygon tattoo on her leg, which I believe was retweeted by Masuda himself, so that's pretty awesome!
I don't know what it is about Tropius. It just stands out, I guess. Like, it looks so bizarre, especially with the bananas attached to its neck. But curiosity got the better of me, and when I had to remake my Omega Ruby file, I used Tropius in the new team I did, and it didn't disappoint. I was surprised with how useful it was, and having some nice resistances was always useful (Poor thing is still 4x weak to Ice though...), and it was just generally a fun Pokémon to use. And, of course, I like it more than the Tailow line, so that's another reason I like this a lot.
Metagross is just awesome. Like, look at it! It's some weird, 4 legged creature made out of pure metal, and it just looks like it could destroy you instantly. And its Mega? It could probably just hug/squeeze you to death, literally. I don't know if it's because Steven uses one, or because of how strong it is, but Metagross is just, awesome. Now, of course, if I'm going against one... Then I'm in trouble and I have to watch out because it could probably wreck me easily.
I love this little gimmicky Pokémon. I love the original mystery surrounding Shedinja, in which you have to evolve a Nincada at level 20, have any spare Poké Ball in your inventory, and have a spare slot in your party. I think it's pretty awesome. Now of course, the gimmick with Shedinja is that it can only take damage from supereffective attacks done against it, and it only ever has 1 HP at all times, so if it takes damage, it's just gone.

I don't know why I really like Relicanth. I think it's because it half reminds me of the struggle to catch a coelacanth in Animal Crossing, and the other half is that I feel like it's forgotten Pokémon, or at the very least I feel like it's very overlooked. I really think it's cool, and I can't wait until the first time I place it on a team. It's going to be a lot of fun. I also enjoy it most likely due to the mystery of the Regi trio, and requiring a Relicanth and a Wailord in order to open the passage to the cavern.
I honestly enjoy Duskull a bit more than Banette, but since Dusknoir is a Sinnoh Pokémon, I felt that it wouldn't be right if I put it here, you know? That being said, I've used Banette more and I enjoy it very, very much. When I last used it in a Ruby team, it had some poor Defense, sadly, but it still helped me overtake some of the League, and helped me take on Tate & Liza. Plus, I really like Mega Banette, I think it looks awesome and I love the idea of the zippers on it opening up and revealing claw-like hands and feet and stuff
I love Altaria. I've always loved this little cotton ball and I, of course, have a soft spot for adorable creatures. I wouldn't have thought this was a Dragon if the games didn't tell me. To be 100% honest, I feel like Fairy/Flying suits Altaria more than being a Dragon, but that's okay. I remember having a hard time taking on Winona the first time because I didn't know that Altaria was part Dragon, but that's half the fun. I always love using Altaria. I name it "Cotton," because it looks soft as cotton.

Sableye has always been such a fun and exciting Pokémon for me. It's so tiny but it has a unique (at the time) typing in which is has zero (at the time) weaknesses! And it got even cooler with a Mega Evolution. I always love seeing this little guy with its mischievous grin on its face and watching it wreck others. I kind of wish it could evolve, though, but since we have a Mega Evolution, it kind of got an evolution, you know? I also liked the little "Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald" thing going on with the gems in its body.

Never in my life have I wanted to use a Pokémon more than I did when I first saw Aggron. It's kind of funny cause I see similarities with Aggron and Tyranitar and I've often wanted to throw them into a team together and watch them cause a bunch of destruction. I've used Aggron before, a couple times, and every time I used it, it never failed to disappoint. I can't wait until I can get my shiny Aron one day, to get an awesome shiny Aggron!

It's kind of funny how I have two specific version exclusives in a list together, but since I like Mawile more than I like Gardevoir, I guess it makes sense, you know? I do like Gardevoir, but Mawile has been used more and I just really love the typing. Sure it's shared with Klefki but it gets Fire resistance and Steel resistance, so both attacks only do neutral damage. Meanwhile, Poison becomes useless against it, which is a really handy type to resist (unless you're facing a Salandit/Salazzle, then you're getting poisoned.). But regardless, I always have fun using Mawile and I do enjoy seeing its cool Mega as well.

And that's it for Hoenn! I really love this region and I'm excited to replay all 3 GBA games again after I finish Fire Red in a couple days. Thanks for reading and I'll see you again soon!

Have a nice day!~

No comments:

Post a Comment