Read in your language!

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Thoughts on the Current New Pokemon

*Please note that this contains spoilers for new Pokemon revealed in Pokemon Sun and Moon. If you're trying to avoid any potential spoilers about the new Pokemon, please stop reading now! Also, note that, at the time of typing this, on August 23rd, 2016, we currently have 39 new Pokemon, and 8 Alola Forms currently known. I won't make another entry about this topic until the games release in November and we have the full Pokedex revealed to us. So, please, if anything new comes out after this is made, and you don't see it here, the Pokemon was not known to us until sometime after this post was completed. Thank you and I hope you enjoy!*

So, it's no secret that I am super hyped about the new Pokemon games coming out in just under 3 months now, and just before my birthday no less, so I'm even more excited. And with just under 40 new Pokemon revealed to us thus far, I wanted to take some time and show you all of them and give a brief look at what I think about them, and maybe any hopes for an evolution if none of been shown off yet. This will seem very long as I am essentially adding a ton of pictures here, but I really hope that you all find a Pokemon you really like. Let's get right to it, and begin with our adorable starters.

Rowlet is, well, a fat, adorable owl. Our very first Grass/Flying starter, too. Like pretty much the entire Internet, I love the fact that it's so fat and fluffy, and the little leaf bow tie really adds a layer of charm to this bird.
Litten is my fire kitty, and personally my starter choice for my journey through Alola. Everything about it just feels "me," from the fact that it's a cat, and I love cats; the colors, as I love red and black a lot; and just its neutral 'I just woke up and haven't had coffee yet, piss off' look to it just feels like me, too. I really hope that Litten becomes Fire/Dark, as that would make it a fun little rival for Houndoom in a dogs vs cats situation. I dunno when they're gonna show is starter evolutions, but it sure can't come fast enough.
Poor little Popplio, the little guy can't catch a break. In what seems like repeating history, Popplio is getting the same treatment Oshawott received back when Black and White were coming out. Personally I think the cruelty is unwarranted, as I think Popplio looks adorable. If I wasn't already dead-set on Litten, I would have chosen Popplio as my starter. I hope Popplio becomes a Water/Fairy type, to be honest. I feel that it would suit it a lot and maybe Popplio will become majestic as it evolves.
Rockruff is a Rock type puppy, that's pretty much all that needs to be said about this adorable Pokemon. I'd love to put it on my team asap, but we still have yet to know what its evolution is. However, we'll be seeing it soon. When CoroCoro drops next month, it will be revealing Rockruff's 'secret evolution' to us. Considering its flavor text, saying how it will howl at dusk to signify its evolution is near, it's not too much a stretch to say it could become a werewolf. I think that'd be awesome, but it it's part Dark, and Litten ends up being Fire/Dark, I can't bring Rockruff with me due to my strict "no overlapping types" policy in my teams, which is sad, but it makes me choose different Pokemon than I would initially.
Komala is our first Koala Pokemon and it is Normal type. It's new ability, Comatose, allows it to evade any status ailments except for Sleep, meaning that it cannot be Burned, Poisoned, etc., which is pretty scary in a sense, because if your tactics go along the case of burning or paralyzing, for example, you can't do it to this little guy. I hope to see an evolution that keeps Comatose, and just gets more powerful.
Pikipek is our main bird of the region, much like Pidgey or Fletchling. This was a wire frame in the original reveal before it was finally revealed during E3 and the gameplay demo. I think it's adorable and I love the name, it just fits it so well.
Yungoos is our 'rodent' Pokemon of the region, along the lines of Rattata and Sentret. Of course, the Internet is filled with Donald Trump jokes, especially with its evolution. I think the little guy is cute and I just like the eternal Grr face that it has going on too.
Ah yes, Donald Trump- I mean Gumshoos, the evolution of Yungoos. Again, it's not hard to see why the Internet says Gumshoos looks like Trump, and I find it funny and ironic. I'm not too big on Gumshoos, to be honest. Not because of the memes, but... well, I'm not 100% sure myself, but I just think Yungoos looks a lot cuter. Gumshoos is probably really powerful though, hopefully.
Grubbin is our native caterpillar/worm of the region, much like Caterpie or Wurmple or Scatterbug. I think this little guy is adorable, it just has little pincers and it looks like it wants to bite your finger. Plus the orange, yellow, brown, and grey combination looks pretty cool too.
Charjabug is Grubbin's first evolution. When I first saw this little battery, all I could think was "It's a cube!!" and laugh cause it really is just a cube battery. And its cry sounds like an accordion. When Grubbin evolves into Charjabug, it becomes Bug/Electric, just like Joltik and Galvantula's typing.
Keeping the Bug/Electric typing, Charjabug finally becomes Vikavolt, this amazing stag beetle. I love this design and I think it's one of the coolest final Bug evolutions we have. I was really surprised when it didn't gain Flying as one of its typing, opting to stay as a Bug/Electric type. Regardless, though, this Pokemon seems like it could be strong or even a threat if you're not careful.
Drampa is a Normal/Dragon, the first of its kind. Considering this to be a sure-spot on my team, but needing to see more Pokemon before I make that choice. Everyone is convinced that Dunsparce evolves into Drampa, but I just don't see it honestly. Sure, the pieces are there, like the colors, overall design, typing, etc., but I still can't see Dunsparce turning into this. But then again, the reveals aren't over yet. Who knows what they'll show us. But until then, I love Drampa, I think it's silly but awesome.
To be honest I'm not big on Bruxish's design but that doesn't mean it's bad. Being Water/Psychic, it feels like it could be a possibly bulky Pokemon, but to me I feel like Bruxish is a standalone Pokemon. Could I see an evolution or pre-evolution? Absolutely, but right now, until that's confirmed or not, it's a standalone to me.
Cutiefly is a Bug/Fairy Pokemon, and it lives up to the name; it's an adorable little fly. Not entirely sure what else to say on it. I feel like it could use an evolution though, it could still be just as cute, probably just a little bigger. Another Pokemon I'm honestly considering for my team.
Here we have our Pikachu-clone of the region, Togedemaru (and yes, that's its English name). This Electric/Steel porcupine is really fat but it's really cute. It also has Iron Barbs or Lightning Rod as its ability, which are pretty wonderful in my opinion. Alas, this poor thing would be destroyed by Earthquake.
If I wasn't being strict about my overlapping type rule this time around, Salandit would have had a very guaranteed place on my first team. It's our first Poison/Fire type, it's black and red, and it looks smug as hell. I love it. Its ability Corrosion allows it to inflict Poison on any Pokemon type, including Steel and Poison, which makes it pretty scary in the long run. You just missed out on my team Salandit, but be assured that you will be on quite a few teams if I need a Fire or Poison type.
Stufful, a Normal/Fighting red panda plush toy. Yeah, not even joking, this Pokemon is in fact a stuffed animal, complete with a tag on its butt! I also think it's cute because it doesn't like being touched and it'll struggle and flail about, which I just think is really cute. Even in its animations, it flails its arms around!
Stufful evolves into Bewear (yes, that's the real name too) and when it evolves, it gains a total personality switch. Now, it loves giving bear hugs to its Trainer and other people, but they're so strong they can snap anything in two, to which people in Alola have warning signs about Bewear. Poor thing, it's just misunderstood cause it's so strong and innocent.
This is Mimikyu, a Ghost/Fairy type that took the Internet by storm with its cute look and how it only wants to be loved, so it dons a Pikachu disguise in hopes that people will befriend it. See those dots by the tummy? Those are its eyes. Mimikyu has the ability Disguise, which acts as a one-hit Substitute from the get-go, which is pretty handy as you won't lose 25% of your HP to have a substitute, in a way. Mimikyu was a strong consideration for my first team, but a Pokemon further down the list beats it, and it's only because of the typing and personal preference.
Wimpod is the second Bug/Water type, preceded only by Surskit in Hoenn. This poor guy is a total coward, so much so that its ability, Wimp Out, has it fleeing when its health hits 50% or less. In battle, it will flee if it's wild, but in a Trainer's possession, it makes you switch it for another Pokemon. I hope it evolves into something brave and fearsome, honestly.
Bounsweet is a Grass type fruit that very much reminds me of Cherubi and Cherrim. It just has a happy demeanor about it that I love a lot. In its flavor text, however, it mentions that it's so bouncy and happy most of the time that when it's in real danger, people can't tell. The result? The poor thing ends up eaten alive by other Pokemon. Talk about dark.
This is as Hawaiian as you're gonna get. This is Comfey, a Fairy type that is literally a lei, or a flower crown, which is something almost everyone thinks of when they think of Hawaii. Its new ability Triage allows its restorative moves to gain the highest priority, which makes it pretty scary if it has Synthesis, as it can heal itself before you even manage to attack it again.
Another first as far as species are concerned, Mudbray is a Ground type and our first donkey. Its face kinda reminds me a little bit of Froakie, as Froakie would typically have its eyes looking similar to that style. This little guy is too cute, though, as it just loves playing in the mud, as its name suggests. It also gets stressed and upset when it has no mud to play in. I bet it'd have a field day on rainy days.
This is Mudsdale, the evolution of Mudbray, and somehow it is only 60 lbs lighter than Groudon, and about 1,800 lbs heavier than Mudbray. Talk about becoming a real Trojan Horse, am I right? Its Pokedex entry goes on about how strong it is and how it can't run along city streets in Alola. It also gains a new ability, Stamina, which boosts its Defense by one stage when it takes damage, presumably from physical damage only, but it's still unclear.
This is Minior, a Rock/Flying, cute and fat star inside a meteoric shell. When its HP goes down to 50% or lower, its shell breaks to reveal the core. Despite the art being pink, the core has several colors, including blue, purple, green, yellow, and orange. Another cool aspect is that you can't tell what color the core is until you actually break the shell. So if you're after a specific color, you're gonna have to break the shell, which I think is a neat little bit of added detail to this cute little star.
This is Fomantis, a pure Grass mantis Pokemon. I'm surprised it's only pure Grass, as you would expect a mantis to be Bug, too, if not pure bug. But I really think this is adorable, and the shades of pink and green compliment each other very well in my opinion. However, I think that's nothing compared to what I think of its evolution.
Fomantis evolves into Lurantis, and Lurantis is also pure Grass, and gains a new move called Solar Blade. Lurantis is my guaranteed 2nd slot in my first team. I don't know what it is about Lurantis. Maybe it's the cute design, maybe the shy demeanor is has, I'm not too sure. But regardless, I love this Pokemon. I think it's cute, and it fits in with the "elegant Pokemon" category among others like Gardevoir, Lilligant, Milotic, etc. Even its flavor text mentions that it is the most elegant of all Grass types. What a hefty title to wear, but I can't wait to get myself a Fomantis so I can have this mantis on my team.
This is Oricorio, or rather, one of its forms. But since this is generally considered the "official" look for it, I'm only going to use this one. Oricorio has 4 forms, one for each island in Alola, and each with a different type attached to its existing Flying type. The picture here is of its Baile Style, which makes it Fire/Flying. Oricorio has the ability Dancer, which lets it immediately copy any dance moves, like Sword Dance, Teeter Dance, etc. without spending a turn, and it can be pretty scary to see it setup just like you do. It also has the move Revelation Dance, which has an offensive typing related to the form of Oricorio that uses it. I think this is a cool concept for a Pokemon, especially for a bird. Probably won't use it on my first team, but I like it nonetheless.
This is Sandygast, a Ground/Ghost sand Pokemon. Yep, it's living sand. As silly of a concept as it is, and silly of a design as well, there's just something so charming about how silly it is. Then again I always seem to like designs that look weird or out of the ordinary because they stand out to me. I don't know, I just really like this thing, but its evolution... well.. Let me show you.
Keeping the same typing, Palossand sits here as my 3rd guaranteed slot in my first Alola team. When I saw the CoroCoro leak of this Pokemon, I laughed and said "It's a sand castle... I love it!!" And I honestly do love it, it's a weird Pokemon and it has a silly design and I just love everything about it honestly. Along with Sandygast, it has the new ability Water Compaction, which boosts its Defense by 2 when hit by a Water attack. It's not currently known if it has to be physical, special, or if it's just any Water type attack. The reason this beat Mimikyu is because I think everyone is going to take Mimikyu. I never said I would definitely have Mimikyu, and after I saw this, I wanted to see it in action before deciding on it, and I sure did decide on it.
Wishiwashi is a pure Water fish with a cool gimmick that I didn't grab the picture for, in order to keep the surprise. Its ability, Schooling, has it change into a School Form once it hits a certain level, and will revert back to the Single Form once it takes a certain amount of damage. What makes this so cool is that the form change acts like evolution does, as it changes form after reaching a certain level, but it never actually evolves. I think that's a cool concept. Wishiwashi, mostly for the amazing School Form alone, gets the guaranteed 4th slot in my first Alola team.
This is Pyukumuku (another case of English name not even looking English), a pure Water sea cucumber. I don't honestly have much to say about this little guy. I think it's cute, and its ability, Innards Out, is pretty scary. Much like Aftermath, when Pyukumuku is defeated, it damages the opponent. However, the damage done is equal to the amount of HP Pyukumuku had before the finishing blow. For example, if you defeat it and it had 50 HP left, your Pokemon would suffer 50 points of damage after it faints. Truly a scary ability, especially if you're going to defeat it in one hit.
This is Morelull, a Grass/Fairy mushroom. I think I would honestly be taking this little guy if I wasn't already super dead-set on taking Lurantis. It's just a tiny batch of mushrooms and it's just super adorable! I think it also helps that, besides being a fan of small, cute things, I do like the existing mushroom Pokemon, like Shroomish and Foongus. I hope this Pokemon evolves into something bigger but keeps the adorable look to it.
This, right here, is Turtonator. Yes, Turtonator. It's a turtle that looks like a land mine, and it's Fire/Dragon! I don't know how this thing can be a dragon but damn if it's not a badass looking Pokemon. I wasn't too big on the design at first but after I got used to it and saw it a lot, it grew on me. Since I'm taking Litten I can't pick up this Pokemon for my team but I bet it's gonna be a terror to fight.
Finally, as far as non legendary Pokemon, this is Crabrawler, which is deceptively only a pure Fighting type, as opposed to a Water/Fighting type. I don't mind that it's only Fighting, it's actually pretty clever because you can deceive others who might not know or might not remember that Crabrawler is pure Fighting. I like the concept and I like the idea a lot, but chances are I won't be taking this champ with me in my first team.
This is Tapu Koko, one of the guardian deities of Alola, specifically the deity of Melemele Island, the island you start your journey at. It looks pretty cool, especially for an Electric/Fairy type. I like how it can put its hands together and look like a tiki mask, which is most likely the motif they were going for. I think this is cool and I can't wait to see the other 3 deities when they reveal them, if they do.
Solgaleo, literally the reason I chose Pokemon Sun over Pokemon Moon. As much as I like Lunala, Solgaleo just looks more fierce and more, well, awesome, to me. Being Psychic/Steel is a cool type combo, even if everyone, including myself, expected Fire in some way. The irony is that this makes Solgaleo weak to Fire, which I find pretty funny. I love this Pokemon and I can't wait to encounter it in Pokemon Sun.
And here we have Lunala, the Psychic/Ghost legendary for Pokemon Moon. Another case of, I wasn't big on the design, but it did grow on me over time. I like that it's another bat and that it looks pretty amazing, and it's shaped like the moon when it puts its wings together. I may not encounter Lunala in Pokemon Sun, but it's still an awesome legendary Pokemon nonetheless.
Finally, our last new Alola Pokemon so far, the mythical Magearna. I like how Magearna looks, it looks like a metal bunny, kind of. I haven't seen the Volcanion movie, so I'm unsure about a lot of details involving our Steel/Fairy friend here, but I love it all the same, and I'll definitely be getting it once the event comes out one day.

So, now we look at Alola forms briefly. This is Exeggutor's Alola form. It ditches the Psychic typing and becomes Grass/Dragon. Not sure how a giraffe neck turns it into a Dragon, but I don't make the rules in designing Pokemon.
Next is Alola Vulpix. I love it, and even though I'm not using Alola forms on my first team, I want it. It becomes pure Ice and it just looks too cute!
This is Alola Ninetails. It becomes Ice/Fairy and it just looks really pretty and majestic. I already loved Ninetails before, but this might make me love it a lot more.
This is Alola Sandshrew. It becomes Ice/Steel and it has an igloo body and an igloo for a head now. Another case of it's so cute and I really want it!
Alola Sandslash keeps the Ice/Steel typing and just generally looks more badass than it already did to begin with.
Alola Meowth is pure Dark type, that's right! Not sure why Meowth, of all Pokemon, got an Alola form, but then again you can ask the same thing about Exeggutor, honestly. I like this, to be honest. I just wonder if Persian will also have an Alola form.
Alola Marowak is Fire/Ghost. It's badass, I want it, and it's just really cool. I think Ghost/Fire just suits it so well, and even if it was just pure Ghost, it would still fit so well in my opinion.
And last, but certainly not least, is Alola Raichu. It becomes Electric/Psychic and it gains the ability Surge Surfer, which is.... underwhelming, to say the least. All it does is double its Speed when Electric Terrain is active. Not bad, but nothing super extraordinary either. It's super cute though, somehow that made Raichu even cuter than before.

And that's it for my thoughts on every new Pokemon so far. I'm sorry that this is such a long post. It's only really long because of the pictures. If I cut out the pictures, and it's only text, you could read it in like.. 2-5 minutes, tops. If you made it all the way this far, thanks so much for reading my silly thoughts. Let me know what Pokemon you like and why, I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions! Until next time, thanks a bunch for reading, and I'll see you next time! :D

1 comment:

  1. Still love Raichu and Ninetails alola forms the most :) <3 and For your comment on Litten, I'm the same too. Very grumpy without coffee in the mornings lol :D But ya overall this was really cute and fun to read x3

    ReplyDelete